POETRY COMPETITION - Deadline 17th November 2017
Submissions of poetry for our Remembrance Day for Lost Species event will be accepted up to 17th November. The theme is 'Pollinators and Other Insects'. Our panel of poet judges will choose a selection of poems to be read on the evening (preferably by their authors!), and one talented writer will receive a prize of €50. Please read the submission guidelines below. Email email@example.com for further information.
REMEMBRANCE DAY FOR LOST SPECIES - 30th November 2017
A Remembrance Day for Lost Species event will be held at St. Michan’s Church, Dublin 7. The night will feature insect-themed poems selected from our competition entries, music, video screenings, and pollinator-dependent refreshments. Remembrance Day for Lost Species 2017 is an opportunity to commemorate extinct pollinators and renewing our promises to existing species. Visit https://www.lostspeciesday.org for more information.
In addition to inviting poetry submissions for our competition below, we also seek singers to celebrate our six-legged friends through song! Original and cover songs are welcome. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in taking part. There is a small "honeypot" available to cover travel expenses within Ireland.
POETRY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- The competition is open to anyone aged 18 or over
- Entries should be submitted on or before midnight, 17th November, 2017.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- There is no entry fee.
- Poems must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant. This includes digital publication on websites, blogs and online journals.
- All entries will be judged anonymously: no names on entries, please.
- Current employees of Nessa Darcy Creative Entomology may not enter the competition.
- Poems cannot be altered once submitted.
- The judge’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Poems may be up to 40 lines in length, not counting the title.
- Entries should be in English, on the subject of insects.
- Entries should be typewritten.
- Entries should be sent, by email only, to email@example.com as a Word attachment or in the body of the email with the word POETRY in the tag-line.
- The body of the email must also include the following information: the poet’s name, title of poem, postal address and contact telephone number.
- The winning poem will be selected by the judge, Eliza Homan of Airfield Writers.
- The winning poet will be contacted by email and/or telephone on or before 27th November 2017.
- A number of poems, including the winning entry, will be curated for reading at the event on the Remembrance Day for Lost Species Poetry and Music Evening at St. Michan’s Church, Dublin 7, on 30th November 2017.
- Winning and selected poets are invited to read their own poems at the event.
- All competition entrants and their friends and family are invited to the event. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The winning poem will be awarded a prize of €50.
- Copyright remains with the poet but Nessa Darcy Creative Entomologist would be happy to feature the winning poem on Facebook if the poet wishes and only with the poet's consent.